Work Permits | Assist Thai Visa Services

Work Permits


To obtain a work permit in Thailand can be complicated. Firstly, many people mix up a work permit by calling it a work visa. There are no working visas in Thailand. In order to obtain a work permit you need either a Non Immigrant B (NON-B) visa, or if you are a volunteer or married to a Thai or supporting a Thai child a Non Immigrant O (NON-O) visa. Once you have the correct visa you can then apply inside Thailand for a work permit. Note, despite what is written online you cannot get a work permit from a Thai Embassy or consulate it can only be obtained at the local Labor office in Thailand. Before we investigate the process here are some common questions related to a working Permit in Thailand.

Should I have a work permit?

The Thai definition of work is very broad and although there have been recent changes by royal degree to allow attending meetings and seminars the consensus is that if you are conducting business in Thailand you should have a work permit. Working in Thailand for a basic definition is using your labour whilst in Thailand for a monetary payment. Despite many people believing that working here online doesn’t require a work permit, no such law has passed to afford anyone this protection. That means that if you are caught in Thailand working without the correct visa and work-permit, you will likely face a fine, being arrested, possible jail and being black listed from Thailand.

How to Obtain a work permit in Thailand?

The first step to receiving a work permit is to be on the correct visa. For this to happen in most cases you either need to form your own Thai ltd company (2 million baht capital) or have an employment offer from a Thai company. Once you have this offer the company can then apply for a Work-Permit. This is a document which will allow the embassy to issue you the NON-B visa (normally single entry 90days). On being granted this you can enter Thailand and apply for your work permit at the local labor office. The process and paperwork can be difficult and the cost if mistakes are made can be great. We can assist you will a comprehensive work permit service to ensure the documents are correct and you don’t have any problems. If you have a company offering you a position, we are also happy to work with them to ensure the work permit is process correctly. Unfortunately, the laws related to work permits in Thailand are constantly changing along with the penalties for not having one! We therefore highly recommend you use a professional service such as ourselves to help you with the process.


When applying for the work permit within Thailand you will need a range of documents.

  • A valid passport with more than 6 month validity
  • A medical certificate
  • Company papers from your company or your employer
  • Photos
  • Degree certificate
  • C.V. or resume
  • Photos of your work place
  • Company financials
All company documents must be issued within the last month, and for the medical it is the same.

Short Term Work Permits

In some circumstances you can qualify for a temporary work permit. If you wish to receive more information about this please contact our offices directly.

Can I do business research in Thailand without a workpermit?

If you are coming to Thailand with the intention to look at opportunities the Thai embassy or consulate in your home country can issue you a NON-B visa to explore business opportunities. Once you find an employment opportunity you can apply for a work permit straight from that NON-B.

Can my family follow my visa if I have a work permit?

Once you have obtained a visa and been granted your work permit, you can go to your local immigration office and apply for a 1 year extension. This extension is based on extending your business visa as you are working in Thailand. Any family members travelling with you need to obtain a Non Immigrant O (NON-O) visa (90days) from a Thai Consulate, or Thai embassy outside of Thailand. They can then follow your 1 year visa, but you will need proof of your relationship, such as marriage certificates or birth certificates.